Last updated: May 06. 2014 12:08AM - 314 Views
By - shalasz@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

BELBROOK — An historic barn at Sugar Valley Golf Club was destroyed in an early morning fire on Monday.

The barn, which housed golf carts, clubs, fertilizer and insecticides ignited around 6 a.m. at the 1250 Mead Road golf course. When Sugarcreek Township Fire Department crews arrived it was too late to save the structure, so firefighters turned their attentions on the nearby clubhouse and historic 1840 House.

“When we got there we had a barn fully involved,” said Chief Randall J. Pavlak. “We went defensive as soon as we got there. Our main mission was to make sure there were no life safety issues … and protect what we call the exposures.”

The fertilizer and insecticides caused club officials to worry about the well pumps, which are in the barn.

“With the chemicals burning, there’s concern for those chemicals to get in the water source,” GM Brent Moore said. Sugar Valley brought in a temporary source of water as a precaution.

The course was open Monday and will remain open, but golfers have to walk. All of the course’s golf carts that were stored in the barn were burned with the building. Moore said the club is looking into renting carts until replacements can be purchased.

“The fire literally melted away to nothing the engines in the carts,” Moore said.

The barn dates back to the 1900s. In addition to the carts, clubs and chemicals, it was used as storage.

“A lot of stuff from over the years,” Moore said.

The state fire marshal has been called in and crews are continuing their investigations.

“We’re looking at every possibility,” Pavlak said.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Fairborn Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com